Artificial intelligence: opportunities and threats
Room B of the Fomento del Trabajo Building. Via Layetana, 32, main, Barcelona, 08003
Wednesday, 31 May 2023
Event Cost: Free
Inscription: Contact RAED Secretariat: email@example.com or tel. 93 667 40 54
In this debate we will deal with one of the most exciting and revolutionary topics of our era: Artificial Intelligence. In particular, we will focus our attention on a concrete example of AI that has captured the collective imagination and generated both enthusiastic and concerned discussion around the world. We refer to ChatGPT, a language model developed by OpenAI, whose objective is to understand and generate text in a coherent way.
AI has ceased to be mere futuristic speculation to become a tangible reality in our current society. Its applications range from virtual assistants on our mobile devices to recommendation systems on streaming platforms, including autonomous driving and medical diagnosis. AI has made significant progress and has shown its ability to outperform humans in certain specific tasks.
At the center of our discussion is ChatGPT, a language model based on the GPT-3.5 architecture, developed by OpenAI. As an AI creation, ChatGPT has the ability to process and generate text in multiple languages, making it an interesting tool for communication, content creation, and complex problem solving.
However, like any technological advance, AI and ChatGPT raise important ethical and social questions and concerns. To what extent can AI replace humans in various areas of work? What impact does it have on privacy and data security? What ethical and legal challenges arise when using AI systems like ChatGPT in making critical decisions?
Throughout the discussion, we’ll explore both the benefits and challenges of AI and reflect on how we can harness its potential while mitigating its potential risks. With a multidisciplinary approach, new lines of progress and the most immediate improvements in citizen quality will be proposed. We will share different perspectives and arguments to foster a rich discussion and help us better understand the impact of AI, including the role played by a model like ChatGPT that we will give a “voice” to during the debate so that it “dialogues” with the participants.
- Cecilia Kindelán,(Moderator) Elected Numerary Academician of the RAED and National Director of the Executive MBA program and of the executive development program of ESIC Business and Marketing School
- Jordi Martí, Numerary Academician of the RAED and professor of the UB
- Ulises Cortés, High Performance Artificial Intelligence Group Manager Computer Science Barcelona Supercomputing Center
Atia Cortés, Researcher at the Barcelona Supercomputing Center
- José Ramón Calvo, Full Academician and President of the RAED Institute for International Cooperation and Strategy Advisor of the Barcelona Supercomputing Center
- Jacques Bulchand, Professor University Las Palmas