Experimental Sciences: Dr. in Physics
Date of admittance: 07/11/2005
Speech in reply: Dr. Pere Costa Batllori
Education: * “Licenciado” in Physics, Faculty of Physics, University of Barcelona (1975).
* Ph.D. in Materials Science, Queen Mary College, University of London (1983)
* Catedrático de Ciencia de los Materiales e Ingeniería Metalúrgica (Professor of Materials), Departament de Ciència dels Materials i Enginyeria Metal.lúrgica, (Department of Materials and Metallurgy) Technical University of Catalonia, since 1991 * Head of Departament (1994 -1999) * Director of the Centre de Recerca en Enginyeria Biomèdica – CREB – (Centre of Research for Biomedical Engineering) of the Technical University of Catalonia since 1997 when it was created until 2006. * Director of the Centre de Referència en Bioenginyeria de Catalunya (CREBEC) since April 2003 until December 2005 * Director of the Institut de Bioenginyeria de Catalunya since December 2005 * Rector, Universitat Oberta de Catalunya, April 2013 to present.
Main research area:
* Biomaterials, since 1984, with activities in calcium phosphates, bone cements, titanium and alloys, computer modelling, mechanical behaviour of materials and tissues, tissue engineering and bio-nonbio interactions.
* More than 270 papers in Indexed International Journals and another 100 in Spanish and non-indexed journals. More than 300 Abstracts and Proceedings in Conferences, Congresses and Symposia.
Patents: * 10 Spanish Patents.
* Director and supervisor of 13 Ph.D. Theses, all evaluated with maximum marks.
* Scientific leader of 10 projects funded by the Spanish Ministry and coordinator of a STREP Project funded by the European Commission, scientific partner of another 14 projects, 9 of them funded by the European Commission. Scientific leader and partner of more that 10 research projects funded by industry and private organisations. More than 40 consultancies made for private companies in the field of Biomaterials and Biomechanics.
* 2013 recipient of the George Winter Award, the highest European recognition for outstanding research contribution to the field of biomaterials awarded by the European Society for Biomaterials. 2000 FBSE (Fellow of Biomaterials Science and Engineering, awarded by the International Union of Societies, Biomaterials Science & Engineering, Vice-president of the European Society for Biomaterials (2005-2009), Member of different Scientific Societies, Past President of the Iberian Society for Biomechanics, Editor in Chief of Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, Past Editor in Chief of the Journal of Applied Biomaterials and Biomechanics, member of the Editorial Board of: Journal of Engineering in Medicine, Interface – Journal of the Royal Society, Chairman of the 17th European Conference on Biomaterials (Barcelona 2002), Member of the Scientific Committees of different International Conferences and Congresses., Distinction to the Research Promotion of the Catalan Government for 2001, Member of the Royal Academy of Doctors of Barcelona and Member elect of the Royal Academy of Sciences and Arts of Barcelona, Prize “Ciutat de Barcelona” in the area of Technological Research in 2006 and Special Mention to this same Prize in.