Experimental Sciences: Doctor in Physical Sciences
Join Date: 25 October 2021
Reply: Dr. José María Bové, Doctor in Economics and in Business Administration and Management
Hélène Langevin-Joliot is the granddaughter of Pierre and Marie Curie. CNRS Research Director, all of her research focuses on fundamental nuclear physics.
After working on nuclear spectroscopy and experiments on the non-conservation of parity, she and her group are moving toward the study of nuclear reactions that have become accessible as accelerators at the Institute of Nuclear Physics in Orsay. This research focuses in particular on giant structures in medium and heavy nuclei with high excitation energy, thus revealing complex underlying phenomena, the couplings of individual states of holes or particles with surface vibrations.
Also, she was a member of the CNRS Scientific Council and president of its Nuclear Physics section, member of the first Scientific Council of the Parliamentary Office for Scientific and Technological Decisions.
Part of her activity has been dedicated to the preservation of the Curie and Joliot-Curie archives and the promotion of scientific culture in the population and educational establishments. She is the president of the Rationalist Union, she speaks at numerous conferences on different aspects of the role of science and technology in society.
- 1949: Researcher at the National Center for Scientific Research (CNRS) where Hélène Langevin-Joliot follows her entire career. Director of Research in 1969, Director of Research emeritus after her retirement in 1992.
- 1949-1957: Laboratory of Chemistry and Nuclear Physics of the “Collège de France”
- 1957-2008: Institute of Nuclear Physics (IPN), Orsay (Institut de Physique Nucléaire)
- 1973-1978: Coordinator of the 200 MeV Synchrocyclotron Project at IPN
- 1979-1983: Director of the Department of Experimental Physics of the IPN
- 1982-1986: President of the Nuclear Physics Committee of the CNRS and Member of the CNRS Scientific Council.
- 1985-1992: Member of the Scientific Advisory Group of the Parliamentary Office of Scientific and technological options
- 1996-1998: Member of the Commission for the Centennial Celebration of the Discovery of radioactivity and radio.
- 2004-2012: President of the Association for Scientific Culture and the Promotion of Reason and Science “Rationalist Union”
- 2013: Command of the Legion of Honor.